Kingston Hospital Staff Bank have an amazing opportunity, for a Bank Communications Officer to work within the Communications Department here, to start immediately. The role will be full-time, Monday to Friday for 3 months.
The communications team is a small unit, which provides media handling, public relations, internal communications, digital communications and strategic communications services across the full range of the Trust’s activities.
The Communications Officer will support the team in all aspects of its work as required.
They will be the first point of contact with the media, liasing with journalists, logging media enquiries, researching responses to queries, writing press releases and monitoring the Trust’s press coverage.
They will lead on the development and maintenance of the Trust website content and social media channels.
They will also take the lead on various projects, such as the production of the Trust magazine and communication activity around the Trust’s staff awards scheme.
They will also assist the Head of Communications and the Communication Manager with the implementation of various communication strategies and campaigns.
- Administrate the press office function including being the first point of contact with the media and to be responsible for ensuring that the press office is covered at all times during the working day.
- Manage and respond to incoming media enquiries with advice from the Communications Manager or, if necessary, the Head of Communications. Organise media interviews and press conferences (if and when required).
- Distribute press releases and other documents to stakeholders and the media.
- Responsible for regularly maintaining and updating the media enquiry database.
- Collate all online, broadcast and print media coverage of the Trust.
- Regular monitoring of social media channels and responding when appropriate.
- Main point of contact for Trust staff on updating and developing website content.
- Produce, coordinate and edit written and online communications, often receiving complex and sensitive information and disseminate to internal and external audiences. This includes Trust newsletters, the daily email bulletin for staff, website, intranet, leaflets and posters.
- Support online/digital communications, providing content for the website/intranet/social media and e-newsletters.
- Take the lead on specific events such as the Trust’s Long Service Awards, Open Day and Annual Staff Awards.
- Support events such as the Annual Members Meeting, VIP visits, corporate events and members events.
- Liaise with staff and managers providing advice and guidance around communication issues and the production of communications materials.
- Assist in writing, editing and co-ordinating in house publicity projects such as information leaflets, posters and display boards for various wards and departments.
- Provide support to the Head of Communications/Communications Manager with large PR and communications campaigns.
- Support the Head of Communications and Communications Manager when dealing with adverse events and major incidents
- Assist the team with the production and distribution of the Annual Report and Annual Report as required.
- Deal with filming requests from television production companies, organise the filming and negotiate the filming contract.
Criteria for Selection
- Degree or equivalent qualification or experience in journalism or media, communications related subjects.
- At least two years experience working in a press office/public relations/communications environment;
- Sound media handling/press office experience;
- Experience of writing & editing publications and newsletters;
- Experience of producing internal communication /publications;
- Experience of managing social media channels
- Experience of working in communications/PR in the NHS or public sector.
- Ability to create and implement tactical PR campaigns;
- Ability to write clearly and concisely for all type of audiences;
- Ability to brief local and national journalists;
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills;
- The ability to work autonomously;
- The ability to deal with emotional/distressing subjects/press queries;
- The ability to work to tight deadlines and juggle priorities;
- Excellent proof reading and editing skills;
- The ability to build and maintain effective relationships especially with local journalists, senior managers and clinical staff;
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software and Internet.
- The ability to brief designers and printers;
- Have a basic knowledge of design, printing and production techniques;
- Knowledge of web content management systems.
- Knowledge of how the media works.
- An understanding of how the NHS works;
- Knowledge/experience of internet design and/or publishing software such as quark xpress.
- Good team player;
- Friendly, professional and outgoing manner;
- Good at taking the lead on projects and getting on with the job in a timely fashion;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- A professional, flexible and co-operative approach.
- Interest in health issues.
Please note that the Trust reserves the right to close vacancies before the stated closing date.
Please apply directly to this advertisement, with full and correct contact details and an up to date CV that covers the last 10 years of your employment and educational history and has the month and year you both started and finished in each educational institution/workplace specified. If there are any gaps in your CV due to unemployment, travelling etc, please specify the month and year you were in these circumstances. A member of the Recruitment Team will contact you shortly to discuss the role in more detail and to guide you through registration.
Unfortunately, due to this being a temporary position, we would be unable to support Tier 2 Sponsorship VISAs.
Bank Partners is an employment agency/employment business (as defined by the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003) and is acting on behalf of its client in relation to this vacancy.