Do you want to work with the best in the world?
St Bartholomew’s Hospital, the oldest hospital in England with some of the newest facilities, is home to world-leading cardiac and cancer centres, providing state-of-the-art treatment to our patients in the very heart of the City of London. We offer robotic surgery, ECMO, complex electrophysiology and are a leading provider of stem cell transplantation and immunotherapy for cancer treatment. We are one of the five busiest Heart Attack Centres in the UK, and home to the largest Atrial Fibrillation Ablation centre in Europe.
Our vision is to be a leading and innovative nursing and AHP centre, providing the very best care and excellent patient experience. We are a dedicated, supportive and ambitious team offering excellent training and development opportunities, including a growing nursing and AHP research and clinical academic career programme (internships. MSc, PhDs, post-doctoral opportunities).
The hospital is situated in beautiful surroundings close to St Paul’s Cathedral, has excellent public transport links and is close to the wide range of social and cultural attractions that London has to offer, making St Bartholomew’s a truly great place to work.
Opthalmology Nurse - Bank - Royal London Hospital - Band 7
We are looking for a friendly enthusiastic and hard working person to work in our ophthalmology Out Patient Department. You must be an experienced registered nurse with at least one year experience in Ophthalmology Out- patient, A/E and Pre- assessment.
Responsibility for Staff:
- Ensure a safe environment within the department for patients and colleagues.
- Use own initiative (e.g. Organising own workload efficiently).
- Act as a mentor to junior staff and students and supervise junior members of staff to ensure safe practice and identify learning opportunities.
- Co-ordinate and delegate tasks appropriately (and as appropriate, participate in disciplinary, grievance and absence management procedures and individual performance review procedures).
- Participate in the development of staff, ensuring appropriate standards of care.
- Deputise in the absence of Band 7.
- Ensure effective communication with Clinicians and other staff in Theatres, wards and other departments.
- Participate in flexible working arrangements and training programmes when required and participate in internal rotation within the Ophthalmology Department.
- Promote and maintain learning environments.
- Have in depth understanding of all equipment on the wards.
- Be responsible and accountable for his/her own clinical and professional update, giving feedback to the Unit on courses attended and incorporate the fundamental principles of research as an everyday basis for clinical practice.
Responsibility for Patients:
- Assess and plan care within a professional framework.
- Evaluate care implemented.
- Maintain accurate and appropriate nursing documentation and ensure effective communication is being used at all times.
- Maintain a professional and safe standard of practice (ensuring all quality standards of care are set, achieved and audited).
- To practice in accordance with the NMC Code of Professional Conduct.
- Monitor all members of the inter-professional team to ensure smooth delivery of holistic care.
- Participate in and lead on projects and improvement work associated with 'Essence of Care' bench marking or other quality
- improvement issues.
- Administer medication as prescribed, under protocol or patient group directive, with safety and accuracy in accordance with Barts HealthNHS Trust policy and the respective NMC guidelines for the Administration of Medicines.
- Ensure incidents and deviations from normal practice are communicated to appropriate personnel, e.g. Matron, Consultants, and Senior Doctor on duty.
Bank Partners is an employment agency/employment business (as defined by the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003) and is acting on behalf of its client in relation to this vacancy.