The post holder will undertake administrative, clerical and processing data base tasks to support the handling and management of individual complaints, incidents, claims and investigations in accordance with Barts Health NHS Trust policies and procedures, service processes, procedures and performance standards.
To provide general administrative and secretarial support to the site governance team members.
To be responsible for preparing reports for the hospital as directed by the Associate Director of Governace, Heads of Governance or other members of the Governance team.
To liaise with all members of the teams including, primary, secondary and community teams in addition to other departments and independent contractors.
To liaise with families in relation to complaints, incidents and serious incidents as necessary.
To ensure the Governance Office has the appropriate tools and supplies as is necessary to support its function.
- Main duties, responsibilities and results areas
The Post holder is expected to:
Communication and Relationships
- At all times, to maintain effective working relationships with staff and contacts in order
- to successfully discharge the responsibilities of the post and objectives set.
- Provide and receive complex and sensitive information from patients, carers and staff
- throughout the locality and communicate tactfully and accordingly to the relevant teams, senior managers, clinicians and the public.
- At all times, communicate effectively with patients and families, other departments and external partners by telephone, letter, email, fax and face to face contact, as appropriate.
- On a daily basis, respond appropriately to enquiries via telephone and email, and pass on accurate and concise messages as appropriate.
- Manage the Governance emails in-boxes on a daily basis
- On a regular basis, communicate with departments and external partners, utilising standard letters or as guided by departmental staff.
- Handle and deal sensitively with any distressing / emotional telephone queries or complaints. This will include accurately recording the patient's / complainant's details and details of the complaint, exercising sound judgements and when to escalate to the site Head of Governance (or their nominated deputy) as per trust policy and procedure.
- Prepare relevant routine reports for members of the site governance team and to the service lines and other relevant departments as appropriate.
- Support, facilitate and advise less experienced staff in the use of Datix i.e. incident reporting and completion of the Datix investigation screens etc.
Planning and Organisation:
- Work flexibly with the post-holder’s immediate team and across the site as a whole as needs require. Specific examples of when this will be necessary will include periods of staff absence and when there are fluctuations in normal workflow.
- Plan and prioritise own workload to ensure deadlines and quality standards are met, highlighting any issues or concerns to the line manager.
- Seek the advice or assistance of more senior staff at any stage where the post holder feels any aspects of work being handled is outside their competence.
- Assist with the management of the diaries and appointments of the governance team as and when required.
- Provide any appropriate assistance to senior staff to support an investigation and redress activities and processes.
- Accurately create and update/maintain Datix records in accordance with processes and protocols. This will include checking if there are any existing records, linking records in different modules, attaching documents, setting logical Datix Events and actioning when dates are triggered.
- Prepare reports and provide information to assist staff across the site that require statistical and trend analysis information from Datix as and when requested.
- Create and maintain written records when necessary and create electronic filing systems as required, maintaining an efficient electronic records system
- Pass information to those within the department who are servicing groups and committees when the need arises.
- Organise meetings, including booking venues, preparing and sending out agendas and papers and organising refreshments as required.
- Take minutes of meetings serviced by the Governance Team.
- Obtain any records needed for departmental purposes e.g. Datix reports, incident reports and patient care health records as necessary.
- Undertake or assist with any other reasonable task at the request of a site Head of Governance.
- Prepare letters for signature as and when needed, utilising standard templates wherever appropriate.
- Communicate with Primary, Secondary and Community teams, when requested by the Governance team.
- Manage and create theMonthly Governance Newsletter and ensure this is distributed on a monthly basis
- Create maintain and update Datix and documented records, ensuring the quality and consistency of data held within that record.
- Comply with the requirements of data quality audits and undertake remedial actions when needed.
- Maintain the security and confidentiality of personal and sensitive data held by the department at all times.
The job description is not intended to be exhaustive and it is likely that duties may be altered from time to time in the light of changing circumstances and after consultation with the post holder
Demonstrable experience in the use of Microsoft Office e.g. word, email, excel, power point etc.
Demonstrable experience of being able to use data bases e.g. Datix
Demonstrable evidence of effectively managing a number of staff diaries
Demonstrable evidence of effectively co-ordinating meetings, circulating papers in good time and taking minutes as required
Demonstrates the ability to craft and present letters on behalf of managers to a high standard
Sound understanding of the NHS and how it functions
Demonstrable ability to put systems in place and be organised
Demonstrable evidence of the ability to plan and prioritise own workload, ensuring deadlines are met to a high standard
Know when to seek advice from senior staff or when to escalate when the situation goes beyond the post-holders ability.
Demonstrates the ability to prepare reports to a high standard and to provide information to staff as necessary.
Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills
Ability to understand, record and deliver complex and detailed messages and communications
Ability to communicate with sensitivity and compassion when speaking face to face, over the telephone or writing a letter or email.
Leads by example, promoting the highest standards of personal and professional conduct and integrity
Committed to own self development
Ability to work as part of a team but also accepting responsibility and accountability for own performance.
Ability to work with minimal supervision and direction.
Self-motivated and customer-focused approach.
Ability to have a flexible attitude to work as required by the needs of the service
Commitment to electronic working.
There may be a requirement for the post holder to work flexibly across sites
If you would like a copy of the full Job Description or any related queries regarding this job role - please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bank Partners is an employment agency/employment business (as defined by the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003) and is acting on behalf of its client in relation to this vacancy.