THIS IS A 6 MONTH SECONDMENT ROLE STARTING IN APRIL
• Reporting to the Divisional Manager, the General Manager is responsible for the operational management of their scope of services within the directorate and delivery of performance targets including finance, activity and workforce, and others as applicable within these services.
• The General Manager will work closely with the relevant Clinical Lead(s) to provide strategic direction and leadership to ensure services continue to improve and develop.
• The General Manager will manage Directorate projects and initiatives as agreed with the Divisional Manager and will take the lead on additional specific projects across the Division as required.
• Foster a sense of Division identity, common purpose and shared values in pursuit of Division goals and organisational objectives.
• Responsible for the operational management of agreed services, within the Division(s) either:
- Adult and Paediatric Surgical services
- Adult and Paediatric Medical services
- Adult and Paediatric Dental services
• Work closely with the Clinical Leads, Senior Nurse, Divisional Clinical Director and Divisional Manager to develop patient focused services, ensuring that contractual and performance targets are met
• With direction from the Divisional Manager, and in partnership with the Clinical Lead, Senior Allied Health Professionals, HR and Finance, develop and implement a business plan on an annual basis for the Directorate, which supports the overall strategy of the Trust and ensures that financial and performance targets are met and sustained.
• On behalf of and working closely with the Divisional Manager, lead on workforce and financial planning for designated services across all staff groups. Participate in the job planning process for the Directorate in partnership with the relevant Clinical Lead, with guidance and direction from the Divisional Manager and Divisional Clinical Director.
• Develop and implement an appropriate reporting structure to ensure senior colleagues, Divisional Manager and Divisional Clinical Director are kept informed of key trends and issues.
• Ensure that the services record activity in real time, accurately and consistently.
• Lead on waiting times and access to services for Surgery services with the relevant clinical team for the Directorate, and ensure that robust internal mechanisms are in place to plan, manage and monitor services to meet access targets.
• Ensure the service meets its activity targets mandated by the CCG and the annual planning process
• Represent the Division at various meetings as required.
• Assist service users in ensuring national and local initiatives are implemented and targets met.
• In partnership with the quality and safety co-ordinator manage the complaints associated with your service, ensure complainants receive appropriate responses within the agreed time frame and that trends are identified and remedial action taken. Work with the quality and safety co-ordinator to ensure that steps are taken to avoid complaints repeating.
STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT & SERVICE REDESIGN
• Where applicable, lead on re-design of patient pathways in specialities within the division with the overall aim to ensure maximum utilisation of resources.
• Lead on capacity planning process and discussions: participating in discussions with partners within the Division, as required.
• Ensure that accurate information and publicity is available for the designated services within the division
· To be responsible and accountable for specific directorate budgets, ensuring the optimum use of resources and establishing and maintaining effective management process to ensure financial control. Ensure that budgetary management includes understanding of activity flows to support adjustments to capacity when required.
· Proactively deliver financial and performance targets, taking actions where necessary to prevent or address variances in performance, highlighting performance issues to the Divisional Manager / Divisional Clinical Director. Liaise closely with other budget holders within the Division to ensure a coordinated approach to financial management.
· Identify, negotiate and implement cost improvement and revenue generation opportunities in accordance with corporate policy and the Division’s strategic agenda.
• Develop and implement procedures and policies to improve service provision within the Surgery services, ensuring relevant links and application where relevant across the Trust.
• Manage the day-to-day running of the designated services, delegating as appropriate.
• Ensure an appropriate skill mix of clinical and support staff is available to maintain Division activity.
• Ensure that all staff in the Division understand and work towards performance targets in all areas including; activity, finance, HR, governance and specifically delivering the government agenda for the services.
• Facilitate the development of Division services in line with the requirements of the NHS Plan, National Service Frameworks and other local strategies.
• Work with the relevant staff and senior clinicians to achieve improvements in care, systems and services.
• Ensure that staff management arrangements are consistent with HR policies and procedures within the Trust and to ensure that good practice in recruitment, appraisal, performance management and other policies are maintained.
• Ensure that all staff within the areas managed receive regular appraisal and have Personal Development Plans.
• Ensure sick time is managed and monitored.
• Due to the wide-ranging nature of this post specific service objectives will be agreed with the post-holder on a regular basis, at least every 6 months.
Bank Partners is an employment agency/employment business (as defined by the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003) and is acting on behalf of its client in relation to this vacancy.