The post holder will support the Head of Finance (HoF) to deliver all aspects of the service area (hospital site, clinical support services or corporate areas) financial management. He/she will manage a team of accountants to provide day to day support in all aspects of the service area’s financial performance and business partnering whilst maintaining an excellent team ethic.
He/she will be a senior member of the Financial Management and service area teams, demonstrating expert accounting and business knowledge, analytical support and clear presentation of highly complex or contentious financial and business information to clinical and non-clinical colleagues. He/she will constructively and positively challenge all aspects of service area financial and business performance and financial management processes to ensure efficiency and effectiveness.
They will deputise for the HoF or Deputy Head of Finance in his or her absence, and attend and present financial information at Specialty and Service area performance reviews.
Specialist knowledge of reporting, payment by results, reference costs and revenue consequences of capital will be required to assist in the delivery of high quality comprehensive reports
- To assist the HoF and senior team in providing high quality leadership to the Financial Management operations of the service area including the management of the finance team to prepare detailed, consolidated monthly financial performance reports.
- The post holder will need to develop a thorough understanding of the service area’s operations and be able to quickly adapt to changes within the service area.
- Provide leadership and support to the Financial Management team and to liaise with other finance teams e.g. income and financial services to ensure the reported financial position is accurate.
- To direct the financial management team in the coordination and validation of the monthly income and expenditure (I&E) position, including forecasts to year-end, analysis and interpretation of significant variances and to influence operational managers/clinicians into taking corrective action.
- Deputise for the HoF and senior finance team in their absence at meetings with Trust management or external organizations, providing financial advice and support as required.
- Report on financial issues at relevant management meetings and service area reviews.
- To be responsible for maintaining strong financial controls and provide training and guidance to budget holders, ensuring compliance with the Trust standing orders and standing financial instructions.
- Undertake periodic reviews of the financial controls within the service area and prepare reports and risk assessments based on information gathered.
- To be responsible for ensuring that the business units finance team is customer focused and delivers and maintains the highest level of customer support to the service area including responsibility for a continuous programme of Finance staff team Budget Holder meetings.
- Meet regularly with specialty budget holders, providing high quality, complex information and analysis as required, as well as facilitating the flow of information between budget holders and management accountants.
- Promote a modern and collaborative approach to engaging clinicians in financial management, including the promotion of a culture of innovation and productivity.
- Provide high quality and meaningful advice to Directors and managers of services, regarding all aspects of service formulation, re-engineering and managing complex financial issues. Assisting managers in the financial appraisal of new projects and service developments.
- To resolve queries from management accountants, budget holders and other Internal and external staff regarding financial management matters with minimal supervision.
- To support on costing methodologies and policies to underpin the production of robust information to inform strategic decision making.
- To comply with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) with regard to the confidentiality of personal information and patient confidentiality.
- To promote and lead by example the professional standards set by the finance directorate.
- To undertake any other duties as required which are consistent with the grade and nature of the post
Contracting and Income
- To ensure that provider to provider SLAs are in place and liaise with the commercial team to maximize income for the Trust.
- Provide high quality advice on local contracts and national tariff and the impact on service developments to service area management and clinicians. In addition, to help minimise income loss through poor data capture, incorrect coding & pricing and contractual penalties through effective reporting.
- Provide advice on the formulation of SLR reports and the impact of the results to key senior staff in the Trust highlighting inefficiencies within the service area.
- Provide advice and support on monthly activity gains and losses providing a critical view to the business unit's performance.
Financial Reporting, Planning and Budgeting
- To be responsible for the development of financial plans to achieve the objectives within the Trust and service areas annual plan and to take responsibility for specific projects e.g. business cases for benefits realization and budget setting for the service area.
- To support the service in identification of savings and be responsible for costing and monitoring of the delivery of those savings within the agreed timetable.
- To prepare detailed costing models and business cases for proposed developments and projects within the agreed timetable ensuring value for money.
- Support the HoF and senior team in the co-ordination of timely annual budget setting in accordance with agreed timescales. To prepare budgets for sign off at performance review meetings.
- To take a strategic view on budget proposals across the service area, advising on the validity/affordability of plans, ensuring the organisation spends within agreed budget limits and that value for money is secured in the long term.
- To be responsible for the ongoing development of the professional financial service and implement any recommendations from the Trust board to further enhance the delivery of financial advice and support.
- Develop and implement fully devolved budgets in line with the Trust budget management policy and contribute to the development of a more commercially focused culture in the business unit.
- To support the service area through changes in the financial regime of the NHS.
Staff management, development and communication
- To ensure the management accountants operate efficiently and effectively and adhere to both internally and externally set deadlines.
- To set and monitor objectives, personal development plans, initiate performance monitoring, (including feedback from customers) staff appraisals, and motivation of direct reports.
- Actively contribute to the Trust’s financial management training programme for nonfinance staff including the design of training material and facilitation and presentation at training events.
- To ensure appropriate training for management accounts staff is consistent with the departments training policy and annual training plan.
- Show a commitment to CPD and ensure staff are kept aware of national, regional, and local developments.
- General Requirements
- To support the procurement and contracting processes
- To participate proactively in Trust projects as allocated
- To be responsible for ensuring the provision of ad-hoc reports when required
- To provide high quality advice and support to Directors and senior management across the Trust as necessary
- The job description is not intended to be exhaustive and it is likely that duties may be altered from time to time in the light of changing circumstances and after consultation with the potholder.
- The post holder might be required to work across the Trust at any time throughout the duration of his/her contract, which may entail travel and working at different hospital.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent. Qualified CCAB or CIMA
- Three years Financial Management experience including continuous experience in one organisation Management of staff, including recruitment and effective team working Costing services and business case planning
- Staff management skills and the ability to motivate and develop staff including qualified and non-qualified accountants
- Good IT skills including MS software and financial systems
- Business acumen and the abilit to influence and manage commercial opportunities
- Evidence of a commitment to personal development
Bank Partners is an employment agency/employment business (as defined by the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003) and is acting on behalf of its client in relation to this vacancy.