MAIN PURPOSE OF POST
Patient administration underpins the patient journey and supports clinical teams in delivering high quality patient care and can make a real difference to the patient experience. Effective and efficient patient administration supports management through ensuring a high standard of data quality and by making the best use of capacity and resources.
The post holder has responsibility for assisting with the provision of a professional, comprehensive and efficient administrative service, which is effectively delivered to all patients and members of the Department. This will be through the delivery of a comprehensive administrative service to a specialty team.
- Provide administrative support to Consultants, clinical staff and all patients under their care, including diary administration, correspondence support and other administrative duties as required.
- Use of the Trust digital transcription systems to produce clinical correspondence to inform referrers, patients and other relevant parties of patient pathway progress. In doing so, produce correspondence that is of high quality and conforms to the national target of sending out within 10 working days.
- Open and prioritise incoming post, ensuring supporting information is available when appropriate and taking responsibility for actioning urgent items in the absence of the Consultant or other clinical staff.
- Support patients under the Clinicians care by booking relevant diagnostic investigations and expediting, where appropriate, in line with the 6 week diagnostic pathway and 18 week referral to treatment (RTT) pathway.
- Monitor urgent investigation requests to ensure they are processed appropriately.
- Work closely with all staff in the service to ensure compliance with 18 week referral to treatment (RTT) targets, escalating and intervening where necessary to expedite appointments and procedures to avoid breaches.
- Maintain an accurate and current filing system, ensuring letters, clinical reports, diagnostic test results and other notes are filed in the correct patient notes, in either paper or electronic record systems.
- Follow the tracking procedure for the movement of all patient notes.
- Update patient details on EPR and other Trust and departmental record systems
Ensure patients that require discharge are processed accordingly and the Patients Missing Follow Up List is updated.
- Request and coordinate patient notes from other hospitals and organisations, where the pathway requires input from these.
- Act upon queries from referrers, patients and other relevant parties in liaison with clinical staff. Take relevant action to provide reassurance and support to patients and their families by finding appropriate solutions to problems, which requires the ability to understand and explain basic medical procedures and terminology
Demonstrate high levels of customer care and be an ambassador for customer care within the Trust.
- Provide a robust administration function that underpins the delivery of a high quality service and maintain effective working relationships with clinical, nursing and administrative staff.
- Respond to communication and queries including email, face to face and over the telephone in a timely manner
- Maintain patient confidentiality at all times.
- Be flexible in your approach to work, such as covering other job roles at an appropriate grade or site, and to include varying working hours to ensure the service maintains a minimum level of cover during its core hours of 08:00 to 17:00.
- Use the Trust IT systems ( for example EPR, Alden, PACS, Proton etc.) to register patients, make up a set of patient notes, make outpatient appointments, produce end of treatment letters, ensure that details are correct, check in / check of outpatient appointments as instructed.
1. Assist with the processing of new referrals on Choose and Book / DBS / e-referral systems.
- Contribute to on-going and future service development projects supporting continuous improvement of the services we provide.
- Attend Departmental meetings and training as required to ensure that you maintain an up-to-date working knowledge of service and trust procedures
- Act in a manner aligned to our Trust Values and consistently demonstrate the behaviours that will ensure we achieve our ambition of delivering compassionate excellence.
- Any other duties which may be needed to fulfil the objectives of the post, which are appropriate to the grade.
This job description should be regarded only as a guide to the duties required and is not intended to be definitive. It may be reviewed in the light of the changing circumstances following consultation with the post holder. The job description does not form part of the contract of employment.
Bank Partners is an employment agency/employment business (as defined by the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003) and is acting on behalf of its client in relation to this vacancy.