We are seeking an experienced and motivated Medical Secretary to join the Portsmouth Staff Bank at Queen Alexandra Hospital.
Duties for a Medical Secretary include:
- Enter patient, test, clinical and laboratory information on to the Apex system.Type macroscopic and microscopic reports from audio dictation and copy typing as required.
- Provide secretarial support to all medical personnel within the department, including typing correspondence and reports.
- Ensure the correct use of the digital dictation system.
- Receive, prioritise and action where appropriate incoming mail (both paper and electronic).Establish and maintain filing and bring forward systems.
- Ensure that enquiries received by telephone and in person are dealt with promptly and efficiently in a courteous, professional and informed manner.
- Receive visitors in a polite and efficient manner.Adhere to the visitors’ policy.
- Forward planning in respect of new intake of registrars, ensuring that timetables are available.
- Ensure junior doctors have access to all administration paperwork, manuals, etcand ensure this information is current and accurate.
- Organise and administer meetings within the department when requested to include room booking, agenda preparation and minute taking.
- Ensure that the department runs smoothly and efficiently.Liaise with the Estates department, maintaining stock and ordering stationery as required, ensuring the photocopier is fully working with sufficient supplies available etc.
- Provide appropriate support in the preparation of multidisciplinary team meetings.Retrieve and collate pathology slides and reports.Liaise with medical staff as appropriate.
- Ensure the appropriate filing and/or scanning of specimen request forms and laboratory worksheets.
- Assist in the smooth running of assessments and courses, including organising the booking of the rooms, refreshments, retrieval of notes etc.
- Assist the Failsafe Administrator in Cytology when necessary.Provide cover for the Failsafe Administrator when required.
- Ensure that histology material sent away to other hospitals/departments is actioned in a timely manner and in accordance with department procedures.To include the retrieval of blocks and slides and the accurate completion of appropriate records.Action returned histology material in accordance with departmental procedures.
- Exposure to work of a distressing nature, eg typing post mortems.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Proficient in MS Office, ie Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Strong interpersonal skills with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to deal with clinicians, general practitioners, management, staff, patients and the general pubic
- Ability to prioritise and manage constant and sometimes conflicting demands
- Strong customer service skills
- Evidence of ability to problem solve and work using own initiative, ensuring delivery
- Team player capable of working without close supervision
- Responsive and flexible attitude
- Ability to achieve a high level of accuracy whilst ensuring deadlines are met
- Understand and adhere to the requirements of confidentiality
Our Bank workers are invaluable to us and in return of your hard work and commitment we can offer the following benefits:
- Competitive pay rates – enhanced payrates paid during the weekend and Bank Holidays
- Flexible working pattern
- Opportunities to work across sites, gaining invaluable knowledge and experience
- Priority placements over an Agency Workers
- A dedicated onsite bookings team
- Electronic timesheet submission and weekly pay
- An onsite office and designated Business Partners to offer daily support
- A professional compliance team that will ensure you remain compliant to work
- We also offer Core Skills Training
PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A FULL-TIME POSITION FOR 6 MONTHS.
- RSA III in typing/word processing or an equivalent IT qualification, eg ECDL
- Good general education including 5 GCSEs (grades A* to C) or equivalent, one of which should be English Language
- Audio typing qualification, or significant level of skill gained through experience
- Shorthand/speed writing qualification desirable
Please apply directly to this advertisement, ensuring you upload a full and up to date CV. Successful applicants will be contacted shortly. If you require further information then please contact the Portsmouth Staff Bank Recruitment Team on 0333 577 3316. Ask for Shayda Parsi
Bank Partners is an employment agency/employment business (as defined by the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003) and is acting on behalf of its client in relation to this vacancy.