Portsmouth Hospitals University NHS Trust is the largest non-teaching hospital trust in England. With strong local ties and serving around 675,000 residents in Portsmouth and South East Hampshire, they pride themselves on providing comprehensive acute and specialist services.
The Trust has one main site, Queen Alexandra Hospital in Portsmouth, and looks after six peripheral community sites for outpatient activity.
Here at Portsmouth Staff Bank, we support the Trust with temporary staff in all staff groups. We offer our workers an excellent service that allows them to work flexibly whilst enjoying several benefits including:
Priority over agency workers
Supportive on-site teams
And many more
To make sure that our bank workers are fully supported we have a dedicated recruitment and compliance team. They work hard to ensure that our workers can start booking shifts as soon as possible. In addition, a helpful bookings desk and on-site team are there to assist them and answer any questions.
Specific Core Functions
- Provides clinical ward cover and clinical pharmacy expertise in use of medicines to and for patients within the specified clinical area during an inpatient hospital stay or on an outpatient or day case basis.
- Participates in the use of Patient’s Own Drugs schemes within the specified clinical area, where appropriate.
- Provides advice on pharmaceutical matters within the specified clinical area, undertakes risk management and ensures compliance with medicines legislation and other national guidance.
- Promotes and contributes to clinical audit, research and development, to provide information to managers & clinicians on the quality and effectiveness of the clinical pharmacy within the specified clinical area and improve the provision of pharmaceutical care.
- Develops guidelines and processes to enable the safe, efficacious and cost-effective use of medicines within the specified clinical area, to include cost control and reduction where necessary. Supports clinicians through the preparation of prescribing guidelines for the relevant medicines management committees to ensure that medicines are used in such a way as to maximize benefits to patients within available resources.
- Provides comment on drug expenditure with the specified clincial area on a monthly basis to the directorate pharmacist and team as required.
- Provides clinical pharmacy training, education and support to pharmacy staff to meet the needs of the individual and the service to the specified clinical area. Provides training and support for junior doctors and nurses in specific aspects of medicines management.
- Provides tutor support to a pre-registration trainee pharmacist, student undertaking the postgraduate certificate in clinical pharmacy, newly qualified pharmacist as appropriate.
- Supports pharmacy quality systems through the development of work instructions for the area of expertise.
- Supervises the dispensing of medicines within legal and ethical requirements and in accordance with local guidelines and work instructions to ensure that patients receive the correct medication in a timely manner.
- Provides out of hours service through the on-call rota (if required)
- To support colleagues within the pharmacy team in the delivery of a robust clinical pharmacy service.
- To provide dispensary cover for 10% of working week
- To take part in extended working hours at weekend and on bank holidays on a rota basis
Bank Partners is an employment agency/employment business (as defined by the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003) and is acting on behalf of its client in relation to this vacancy.