Barts Trust offers a range of specialist services and state-of-the-art facilities across its five London hospitals, providing quality healthcare to over 2.5 million people. Barts is one of the largest NHS trusts in England, overseeing St Bartholomew’s Hospital, Newham Hospital, Mile End Hospital, Whipps Cross Hospital, and The Royal London Hospital
As an HCPC registered Biomedical Scientist, the selected candidate will play a pivotal role in performing essential technical and scientific tests within the Clinical Biochemistry Department. These tests are critical for supporting disease diagnosis and treatment. The role includes deployment across various laboratory work areas and different ESEL laboratories, with active participation in an Agenda for Change shift system. The successful candidate will collaborate with the Clinical Biochemistry team to cultivate a culture of continuous improvement in delivering top-tier services.
Technical and Scientific:
- Execute routine and specialized laboratory techniques in accordance with department standard operating procedures.
- Identify situations that could impact service delivery, implement appropriate countermeasures, and monitor progress.
- Collaborate on resolving escalated laboratory issues.
- Verify the authenticity of patient results and implement countermeasures per standard operating procedures.
- Perform maintenance on laboratory instrumentation and initiate unplanned maintenance for non-conformities.
- Coordinate with manufacturer engineers to rectify faults and validate completed works.
- Ensure accurate and up-to-date documentation in compliance with the Quality Management System.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to optimize service delivery.
- Contribute to the research and development of new diagnostic techniques and assess new laboratory equipment.
- Adhere to local and national policies for the secure processing and storage of patient and laboratory information.
- Accurately record relevant information on the laboratory information system.
- Maintain the integrity and accuracy of laboratory databases.
Health and Safety Responsibilities:
- Maintain a clutter-free and clean environment for the safety and well-being of colleagues, visitors, and patients.
- Operate within the Laboratory Health and Safety Policy, Code of Practice, and uphold Health and Safety Standards.
- Stay vigilant to hazards in the laboratory, using adequate precautions at all times.
- Participate in the review of laboratory policies, procedures, and risk assessments.
- Support the laboratory in maintaining UKAS: Medical Laboratory Accreditation (ISO 15089).
- Demonstrate proficiency in using the Quality Management System and share attained expertise.
- Support quality-related activities, contribute to compiling quality metrics, and champion departmental quality initiatives.
- Report to and take direction from the Senior Specialist Biomedical Scientist.
- Act as a deputy for the Senior Specialist Biomedical Scientist when required.
- Supervise various staff categories, including Biomedical Scientists, Associate Practitioners, Medical Laboratory staff, Clerical Support staff, university placement students, and work experience students.
- Conduct appraisals for subordinates and create personalized development plans aligned with organizational objectives.
- Collaborate with peers to plan and prioritize workloads, ensuring timely completion without compromising quality.
- Adhere to Trust and Departmental Policies.
- Assist in collecting data for statutory returns and laboratory management, presenting it in the required format.
- Attend department or section meetings, including presenting information.
Qualifications and Experience:
- HCPC registered Biomedical Scientist.
- Previous experience in Clinical Biochemistry.
- Familiarity with ISO 15189 standards.
- Excellent communication, organizational, and leadership skills.
If you are a dedicated and qualified Biomedical Scientist eager to contribute to a dynamic team and positively impact patient care, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity.
Bank Partners is an employment agency/employment business (as defined by the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003) and is acting on behalf of its client in relation to this vacancy.