Epsom and St Helier University Hospital NHS Trust
Job Title: Occupational Consultant Physician
Responsible to: Head of Occupational Health
Accountable to: Medical director
To act as a specialist in sickness absence management for the Trust. Ensuring that the occupational health needs of the employing NHS Trust and all purchasers of the service are met and that as a minimum to strive to ensure that national standards are achieved. To work with the multidisciplinary team to include infection control, health and safety, TB specialists, human resource team to promote occupational health to the highest standards. To provide occupational health advice to all employees and managers of the NHS and contractors and provide support to the occupational health nurse specialists in accordance with best practice.
- Acting as a specialist Consultant providing a very high standard of advice to the Trust and its staff.
- Assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of care for employees with regard to sickness absence management, rehabilitation, safe return to work, redeployment and advising on ill health retirement.
- Working with the Trust’s HR Team to develop strategies to reduce sickness absence.
- Using management information from the appropriate sources (eg Firstcare) to inform occupational health direction for managing sickness absence.
- Work with the wider services that are part of occupational health such as the staff counselling service and the physiotherapy service to ensure that staff are supported with positive psychological and physical wellbeing at work.
- Assisting and advising HR, line managers, employees and other members of the multi disciplinary team with regards to matters pertaining to personal health advice, health and safety at work.
- Working with stakeholder and employees in order to reduce work related incidents and ill health.
- To providing a contractual occupational health service to private clients/contractors as relevant.
- Carrying out work place assessments as required.
- Ensuring that manual and electronic record keeping standards are undertaken and maintained in accordance with current legislation and best practice including the Data Protection Act and Access to Health Records.
- Undertaking all other occupational health clinical duties that may be necessary to ensure the smooth running of the department.
- Support and empower members of staff to use available services, information and skills to the full and to participate in decisions concerning their care.
- Assessing, managing and providing care in clinical emergencies, critical and environmental incidents to ensure care and safety.
- Promoting the appropriate and effective use of occupational health services in the workplace.
1 .To work with the Occupational Health manager to ensure that the service meets all national occupational health standards and becomes a local centre of excellence.
2 To ensure that the sickness absence management processes meets the Trusts Key Performance Indicators.
3 Contribute towards SEQOHS accreditation and MOHaWK.
4 To be a key adviser in all clinical matters for the department
5 In conjunction with the OH Manager to support the Trust in sickness absence management providing direction, professional guidance and support to all nurses staff within the team.
6 To provide education and learning to all the team.
7 Be prepared to represent the Occupational Health Service when required at meetings
8 Promote good public relations with outside organisations.
9 Promote the OH service to the local community as well as internally to the organisation.
10 Be prepared to undertake other duties and responsibilities as are designated
11 Sign standing orders ofr new staff and contribute to the development of PGD’s.
12 Support the Trust in its approach to pandemic situations.
Occupational Health Consultant
Excellent communication skills
Ability to provide and receive highly complex or contentious information which requires motivational, negotiating, empathetic or reassurance skills and information may be hostile, antagonistic or highly emotive
Ability to organize and prioritise own workload
Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative
Confident, courteous, enthusiastic
Excellent at forming relationships
Word processing and database management
Able to type own letters
Ability to travel to client sites
Case study assessment
Experience of working at advance level with complex sickness absence cases.
Experience of applying risk assessment processes.
Developing and implementing audit programmes
Occupational health experience in the NHS
Working to Key performance indicators
Sufficient to fulfill the duties of the post with any reasonable adjustments
Occ Health Assessment
Demonstrate ability to meet Trust values in line with the RESPECT programme
Bank Partners is an employment agency/employment business (as defined by the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003) and is acting on behalf of its client in relation to this vacancy.