Portsmouth Hospitals University NHS Trust is looking to appoint an enthusiastic, forward-thinking Consultant in Paediatric Emergency Medicine.
Portsmouth has a highly developed service within a modern facility. The Paediatric area has 4 Minor bays, 6 Majors bays and an HDU room. There is a separate PED x-ray facility. The department has two Paediatric consultants with dual accreditation in Emergency Medicine, five EM Consultants with Paediatric Emergency medicine dual accreditation, a Paediatric Consultant Nurse and two Paediatricians who between them provide senior cover to the PED. All consultants within the department cover sessions within the PED. The PED provides Paediatric EM training and GRID training for Paediatric trainees. We are working towards a consultant led service which will mean that a consultant will be in the PED from 08:00 to 00:00 7 days a week.
Emergency Medicine is at the heart of the hospital’s emergency care pathway and provides high quality care for patients from the moment they arrive at the hospital. The department is led by a highly motivated group of consultants who are committed to providing high level care with a drive to develop the service further. The current team is a very cohesive, enthusiastic and supportive and works well together. This job is to ensure enhanced senior cover for the Paediatric Emergency department and represents an expansion of the consultant body. This reflects the Trust’s commitment to the service in order for the Emergency Department to deliver high quality and timely care in the face of the pressures resulting from increased emergency admissions and the greater acuity of cases presenting. The department provides mentoring to newly qualified consultants in order for applicants to develop extended consultant skills. The Children Emergency department has been inspected twice by the CQC in the past 12 months and has been classed as outstanding facility both for the provision of care and its environment. The Trust has been supported by the Emergency Care Improvement Programme (ECIP) and through this the department was inspected by Matthew Cooke, who provided the Trust with a highly favourable report concerning the ED. In it he highlights the huge positives around the department and the forward thinking approach to Emergency Medicine delivered by the Emergency Department.
It is a consultant led service with consultants providing leadership and patient care on the shop floor from 08:00 to 00:00 7 days a week. The ethos of the department is to provide high level care whilst supporting the education and training of junior staff both clinical and nursing both on and off the shop floor.
Education is a huge part of our ethos. The department has positive feedback from all grades of trainees and in recent years there has been the delivery of high quality training programmes. We provided dedicated Clinical Educator time to Consultants to deliver shop floor teaching, training and completion of assessments for junior doctors. We supervise over 30 junior doctors from F2 to ST3 and up to 9 ST4 including one accrediting in Paediatric Emergency Medicine. We have a further 7 speciality doctors working towards CESR accreditation. The department provides GRID training for Paediatric HSTs. Furthermore, we have 3 fully qualified Paediatric ACPs, with more in training.
- Full GMC registration with a licence to practice
- Entry on the GMC Specialty Register via:
1. Possession of, or within 6 months of obtaining a CCT in Paediatric Emergency Medicine or Equivalency.
2. Certificate of Eligibility for Specialist Registration (CESR) or
3. European Community Rights
Or: An appropriate higher specialist qualification.
APLS provider status
Revalidated (or in state of readiness for future revalidation)
- Extensive experience of the full range of Paediatric Emergency Medicine presentations
- Ultrasound skills – level 1 and 2
- Critical care skills to enable stabilisation of all patients in ED resus
- Intermediate level PICU training / additional training time in P ICU.
- A commitment to training
- To be a Clinical Supervisor
- Educational qualifications
- Evidence of involvement in EM training
- Educational Supervisor training
- Academic/Research: Demonstrable understanding of research methodology
- Evidence of personal involvement in regular audit
- Clear understanding of clinical governance and GMC Good Medical Practice
- Team working and leadership skills
- An understanding of the Francis report as relevant to the post
- GCP training, commitment to developing these in the ED, direct experience of research in the ED setting
- Training courses in team working Aware of personal personality profile. Psychometric assessment
- Experience of training in caring, compassion and patient experience
Working Together For Patients with Compassion as One Team Always Improving
Strategic approach (clarity on objectives, clear on expectations)
Relationship building (communicate effectively, be open and willing to help, courtesy, nurtures partnerships)
Personal credibility (visibility, approachable, back bone, courage, resilience, confidence, role model, challenge bad behaviour, manage poor performance, act with honesty and integrity)
Passion to succeed (patient centred, positive attitude, take action, take pride, take responsibility, aspire for excellence)
Harness performance through teams
(champion positive change, develop staff, create a culture without fear of retribution, actively listen and value contribution, feedback and empower staff , respect diversity)
Bank Partners is an employment agency/employment business (as defined by the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003) and is acting on behalf of its client in relation to this vacancy.