The A & E continues to be one of the busiest in London and provides emergency triage, assessment and treatment, including resuscitation for patients presenting to the hospital, but an increasing number of expected medical emergency admissions will come to the AAU directly to avoid unnecessary delays and duplication as a result of assessment within A & E.
One of the roles of the new post holder is to provide acute cardiology support to the A+E department and AAU, to devise, expedite and execute a rapid diagnosis and early patient focused management plan, providing expert frontline cardiac care and ensuring that the most up-to-date and evidence-based management is instituted early during their admission and before transfer to a specialty bed. The consultant is supported by junior doctors from the cardiology team and the pool of the acute medicine team.
The post holder will provide support to the echocardiography department, expanding the complex echocardiography, transoesophageal echocardiography and stress echocardiography services. They will continue an active education programme in echocardiography and maintain robust governance and audit processes. The post holder will be integral to the running of the weekly echocardiography review MDT along with the other cardiology consultants.
Purpose and Nature of the Post
The post holder will work closely with the consultant cardiologists, to deliver a comprehensive cardiology service in line with the requirements of the National Service Framework for Coronary Heart Disease. A suggested timetable is detailed below; this will be discussed and agreed with the Consultants depending on the particular interests of the individual. A formal job plan will be agreed between the appointee and their clinical manager in line with the Job Planning Guidelines in force in the Trust.
It is envisaged that the post holder would undertake:
- Two to Three general Cardiology Outpatient clinics per week
- Two cardiac catheterisation sessions per month depending on level of experience with direct supervision and training
- Two echo sessions per month with supervision and training depending on level of experience
- DC cardioversion and tilt table testing sessions, including training of SHOs in these procedures
- Acute Medical Unit and Progressive Care Unit ward rounds
- Consultations on the management of in-patients under the care of other teams within the hospital, together with Consultants
- Training and supervision of nursing staff for new Cardiology services – nurse-led heart failure clinics, rapid access arrhythmia clinics
- Active participation in audit
Duties of the Post holder
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Provide and maintain a high standard of care for all patients in the department on a rotational shift basis
- Take part in the care of patients attending the department, including examination, investigation, diagnosis and treatment
- Provide a rapid response to A&E to facilitate the 4 hour trolley-wait target
- Participate in daily morning and evening ward rounds along with a consultant
- Understand and anticipate the needs of patients, visitors and staff
- Communicate effectively with medical and nursing staff of other disciplines, ancillary workers and paramedics in the interest of achieving efficient management of patients
- Work with the multidisciplinary team
- Facilitate education of his/her juniors, including the nursing staff of the department
- Provide intermediate level supervision for junior trainees, and offer a commitment to both postgraduate and undergraduate training within the hospital
- Participate in quality improvement, clinical governance and risk assessment processes
- Assist in the audit of various aspects of work under the direction of the Audit Lead
- Maintain legible records
- Maintain accurate and timely patient documentation via appropriate electronic systems
- Excellent time management and organisational skills
- Assist the consultants in promoting health care to the department’s patients in a friendly and caring way
- Recognise their own limitations and seek advice from the consultants in their management of patients
- Perform related duties as required, including additional duties arising exceptionally from any emergencies and unforeseen circumstances, and duties essential for the continuity of patient care
- Other duties as directed by the consultant in charge
Bank Partners is an employment agency/employment business (as defined by the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003) and is acting on behalf of its client in relation to this vacancy.