To support the Occupational Therapy teams within the Acute Hospital setting and patients homes in providing patient centred care of high quality:
- To assist therapists in the rehabilitation of patients by carrying out treatment plans developed by therapists and by progressing those treatment plans within agreed frameworks.
- To carry out patient assessment and treatment in a wide variety of settings including the ward, gym and Kitchen.
- To undertake formalised assessments and reporting cognitive and functional measures.
- To facilitate patients, with their carers identify personal self-management goals
- Work autonomously without direct supervision to support patients in their rehabilitation plans using advanced communication and therapeutic handling skills.
- Assist Therapists in treatment requiring more than one therapist including those with complex therapeutic handling needs.
- May be involved in leading the delivery of Therapist prescribed group exercise and education programmes.
- To autonomously identify need for re-evaluation, progression and termination of interventions
- Modify specific patient treatment programmes by reassessing and progressing as appropriate where agreed by responsible Therapist
- To lead on supporting the autonomous ordering of identified simple aids and adaptations as well as the ordering of Therapy prescribed equipment, aids and adaptations.
- To communicate effectively with therapists about patients’ condition.
- To record patient information in a SOAP note format.
- To support patient-centred rehabilitation in order to facilitate timely, safe discharge, reflecting individual choice and maximizing individuals’ independence
- To maintain the set level of stocks and the cleanliness and safety of equipment.
- To participate in site based data collection and reporting.
- To participate in audit under guidance of qualified staff
- Support the team to use effective equipment and stock management systems including storage of equipment and ordering of equipment in keeping with service requirements
Reports to: OT/PT Clinical Lead
Responsible to: Deputy Head of Therapies
Key Working Relationships
- Occupational therapists
- Members of the multi-disciplinary team
- Administrative staff
- Social services staff
- Community health service staff
What experience and skills do you need?
- Relevant experience of working as a therapy assistant or support worker in a physical health setting.
- Relevant experience in a community based setting
- Extensive experience of working with patients with complex healthcare needs in a rehabilitation setting.
- Experience of working with patients from a diverse multicultural community
- Experience of using highly skilled handling to facilitate client movement and/or rehabilitation.
- Experience of transferring learnt skills to a practical environment
- Able to demonstrate clinical reasoning skills to facilitate decision making processes
- Able to demonstrate skills in the assessment and treatment of patients without direct supervision
- High standard of patient handling skills
- Good knowledge of medical terminology.
- Good knowledge of medical conditions and a proven ability to expand and develop this knowledge within a specialised area.
- Understanding of the impact of Stroke
- Knowledge of the needs of different ethnic minority groups
- Good verbal and written communication
- Ability to organise self and others and manage time effectively
- Ability to form good relationship with patients
- Awareness of cultural issues
- Experience of working without direct supervision, with the ability to make decisions about the management of the patient
- Experience in supporting or mentoring others within a work setting
- Understanding of self-management in long term health conditions
- GCSE Maths and English or a good standard of written English, numeracy and IT skills
- Formal technical qualification, e.g. City & Guilds, or NVQin a Health related field, or equivalent skills acquired through in-service development or experience
- Foundation degree in rehabilitation or equivalent through in service development or experience
- Friendly, motivated, and enthusiastic disposition
- Punctual and reliable
- Good health record.
- Able to carry out moderate to intense physical effort throughout the day
- Ability to write clear, concise, and legal, medical records to national standards
- Good adaptive communication skills – verbal and written
- Basic IT skills
- Presentation Skills
- Ability to work flexibly as service requires
- Sufficient to perform the duties of the post with any aids and adaptations
- Ability to work across sites in a variety of hospital setting as role demands
- Ability to speak local language
- Experience in teaching or education to therapy support staff or other disciplines
- 7 day working
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To ensure that patient discharges are timely and safe and without delays in access visits or equipment orders where deemed essential.
- To contribute to the improvement in length of stay within their area of work.
- To contribute to the improvement in therapeutic activity levels
- To carry out other duties as directed by the relevant therapist following discussion with the post holder, including carrying out OT treatment plans.
- To ensure that all interventions are implemented and recorded appropriately in line with local and national guidelines
- To ensure that patient data are treated confidentially
- To ensure that equipment and therapy aids are kept clean to prevent the spread infections.
- To ensure that equipment and therapy aids are safe and that faults are brought to the attention of the relevant therapist.
- To attend departmental meetings as appropriate.
- To participate in appraisal and continuing professional development and regular supervision ensuring that knowledge and skill base are widened and deepened.
- To maintain up to date compliancy with the Trust’s statutory and mandatory training requirements.
If you have any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org directly.
Bank Partners is an employment agency/employment business (as defined by the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003) and is acting on behalf of its client in relation to this vacancy.