We are dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of many complex illnesses. UCLH specialises in women's health and the treatment of cancer, cardiac, infection, neurological, gastrointestinal and oral disease. It has world class support services including critical care, imaging, nuclear medicine and pathology.
UCLH Pharmacy provides a comprehensive array of services with the overall aim of ensuring safe, effective and economical use of medicines throughout the Trust, and supporting education, training and research. Pharmacy is closely involved in all stages of medicines use, from negotiating contracts for the purchase of medicines through to assessing the outcomes of medicines in the clinical setting, and across all stages in-between.
The UCLH Pharmacy Department has close working relationships with the local hospital pharmacy departments at the Royal Free and The Whittington Hospitals. This relationship has resulted in centralisation of some key backroom operational services such as manufacturing, repacking and education & training, whilst focusing local clinical services directly towards improving patient care
To assist senior technicians with the provision of Pharmacy Services to patients and staff across all sites of UCLH to provide an economic, efficent and timely service following agreed departmental policies and procedures.
To participate and support audit, risk management and clinical governance initiatives to provide safe and effective medicines management to staff and patients at UCLH.
Key Working Relationships
Liaises with Senior Clinical Pharmacists
Rotational junior pharmacists
Junior and senior nursing
Other multidisciplinary staf
Key Results Areas
Management and Supervision
I. To assist in the supervision of the day to day running of the relevant dispensary as required by the dispensary manager(s)
- To assist in the supervision of Assistant Technical Officer's (ATO's) and student technicians
- To deputise for the senior technician(s) when required
Dispensary, Distribution and Production
I. To ensure that procedures relating to good dispensing practice are followed and to encourage and maintain high standards and orderly methods of working
- To encourage and support compliance with the formulary and dispensary policies
- To maintain labelling standards
- To participate in the dispensing and checking of outpatient, inpatient, controlled drug and stock prescriptions and to support the delivery of the NPD scheme
- To dispense and check clinical trials as required using the CTMS programme
- To participate in the London Region checking accreditation scheme after an appropriate qualifying period
- To be part of and to provide information and statistical data to the dispensary management teams for analytical and audit purposes
- To support the supply of out of hours medicines to the emergency drug cupboards and the Accident and Emergency drug cupboard during relevant rotations
- To participate in the provision of counselling and advice to patients on their medication
- To maintain a supply of Public Health information leaflets for patient waiting areas I I. To be support senior technicians in the delivery of 'Medicines Return Policy'
12. To monitor the temperature of fridges in the department ensuring all deviations are reported as necessary in line with Good Clinical Practice
13. To participate in monitoring liquid oxygen manifold and assisting the senior technicians in maintaining or continuous supply of medical gases
14. To ensure that "to follow" and post medicines are supplied on a daily basis
- 15.To participate in sterile, non sterile, repacking and cytotoxic dispensing as appropriate
- 16.To support Patient Services staff in maintaining a continuous supply of emergency drug boxes for all wards and departments at identified sites during relevant rotations following departmental guidelines.
- 17.To ensure that procedures relating to Good Manufacturing Practice are followed and high standards are maintained
- 18.To ensure the continuity of supply of liquid oxygen and medical gas cylinders by timely ordering and regular monitoring and to train other pharmacy staff as appropriate
Stock Management Duties
I. To assist the dispensary manager in maintaining the internal distribution system within the dispensary and to maintain an efficient stock control system
- To assist with the daily random stock checks
- To participate in the ward top up service and the direct distribution of IV fluids
Education and Training
I. To participate in the induction and training of ATO's, student technicians and preregistration Pharmacist's
2. To participate in the assessments of departmental student technicians
- To undertake CPD and to attend courses in practice areas where needs are identified
- To follow competency based training manual and take part in Regional Self Development Programme
- To act as a mentor for student technicians as required
- To liaise with the Education and Training Department and participate in any training sessions requested for pharmacy staff and other healthcare professionals
- To participate in the assessment and performance review of the permanent, rotational and student technicians and ATO's
8. To undertake CPD and to attend courses in Practice areas where needs are identified
- To assist computer training in PIMS to all new members of staff
- To supervise the ward top up service and train staff in set procedures where necessary
- To maintain high standards of cleanliness and tidiness in all working areas at all times
- To understand and follow all departmental standard operating procedures at all times
- To observe safe working practices at all times to minimise risk to self, other staff and visitors to the Trust
- To participate in a system of performance review
To attend departmental meetings as required including the weekly departmental briefing
- To participate in extended day shift, weekend and Bank Holiday duties pro rata
- To help with making deliveries from the Pharmacy department to wards and other clinical areas when necessary in a safe, secure and timely manner
- To prepare emergency drug boxes, replenish used/expired boxes to wards/departments and maintain appropriate records
To participate in duties at any location within the Trust in order to meet service needs as required by the Head of Pharmacy
- To file data relating to the dispensary and distribution
- To ensure equipment used in the dispensary is clean and ready for everyday use
- To replenish stock of medicine bottles, cartons, dispensary bags, measures and caps daily and to complete a weekly top-up from stores
• To prepare the ward and department bags ready for delivery by the porter
- To assist in the delivery of urgent medication to the wards on an ad-hoc basis
- To undertake Continuing Professional Development
- To take personal responsibility for promoting a safe environment and safe patient care by identifying areas of risk and following the Incident, Serious Incidents and Near Misses reporting policy and procedure.
- Participate in the extended outpatient day rota. This service operates until 21.00 Mondays to Thursdays.
- To be aware of and adhere to: UCLH Trust policies and procedures; Section 7 and 8 of the Health and Safety at Work Act;
Data Protection Act 1984
- Any other relevant legislation and agreed practice/policy.
- UCL Hospitals NHS Trust has adopted an Equality & Diversity Policy and specific regard should be taken of its contents in relation to the treatment of employees or potential employees.
This job description is not intended to be exhaustive and it is likely that duties may be altered from time to time in the light of changing circumstances, in discussion with the post holder.
Bank Partners is an employment agency/employment business (as defined by the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003) and is acting on behalf of its client in relation to this vacancy.