Job Title: MSK Physiotherapist
Pay Band: Band 5
Location: Newham University Hospital
Reports to: Band 8a Clinical Lead Physiotherapist
Responsible to: Band 8c Newham Head of Therapies
To be an active contributor to the senior NUH therapies team and undertake a team leader role in musculoskeletal therapies in the day to day operational management and delivery of the service, including supporting the MSK admin team. To lead the MSK team in service evaluation, quality improvement and development in collaboration with and reporting to the Clinical Lead.
To provide specialist musculoskeletal physiotherapy treatment to outpatients with a wide range of acute and long term conditions as part of their overall therapy provision, and be responsible for their own caseload providing skilled clinical assessment, treatment planning and appropriate discharge from the service, adapting practice to suit the needs of the patient.
What skills and experience do you need?
- 4 years post graduate experience including at least 2 years in relevant MSK outpatient and orthopaedic clinical settings.
- Appropriate post registration experience.
- Documented evidence of CPD, in accordance with HCPC recommendations.
- Experience of working as part of a team uni-professional and multi- professional team.
- Advice, supervision, appraisal, training and support to more junior staff, support staff and students.
- Good knowledge of current best practice in physiotherapy in the relevant setting.
- Specialist clinical skills in musculoskeletal outpatients.
- Understanding and application of risk management.
- Understand legal responsibilities of the profession and the associated code of ethics.
- Ability to organise and prioritise own and more junior staffs workload and supervise support staff in this field.
- Ability to work autonomously and set own priorities and support other staff in this field.
- IM&T skills.
- Demonstrate understanding and previous participation in activity to support the clinical governance agenda
- In-depth knowledge of national policies and procedures relevant to client group
- After induction to be able work on the orthopaedic W/E rota.
- Be able to demonstrate flexibility and reliability.
Knowledge & Qualifications
- Diploma/Degree in Physiotherapy
- Registration on the Health and Care Professions Council
- Evidence of current CPD in MSK physiotherapy
Main duties, responsibilities and results areas
The post holder will
- Take a major role in the advanced physiotherapy assessment and treatment of patients within the specialty who may have acute, complex and or chronic presentations. To determine clinical diagnosis and physiotherapy treatment indicated.
- Formulate and deliver an individual physiotherapy treatment programme based on a sound knowledge of evidence based practice and treatment options using clinical assessment, reasoning skills and knowledge of treatment skills, e.g. manual physiotherapy techniques ,patient education, exercise classes, electrotherapy techniques and other alternative options.
- To be professionally and legally accountable for all aspects of own work, including the management of patients in your care. To ensure a high standard of clinical care for patients under your management, and support more junior staff to do likewise.
- To accept clinical responsibility for a designated caseload of patients, and organise this effectively and efficiently with regard to clinical priorities and use of time. To assist and mentor more junior staff in this.
- Assess patient understanding of treatment proposals, gain valid informed consent and have the capacity to work within a legal framework with patients who lack capacity to consent to treatment.
- Be skilled in a range of verbal and non-verbal communication tools to communicate effectively with patients and carers/guardians to progress rehabilitation and treatment programmes. This will include patients who may have difficulties in understanding or communicating. For example, patients may be dysphasic, depressed, deaf, blind, unable to accept diagnosis or whose first language is not English.
- To provide spontaneous and planned advice, teaching and instruction to patients, relatives, carers, and other professionals, regarding the physiotherapy management of patients within the area of outpatients and to promote the understanding of the aims of physiotherapy, and to ensure a consistent approach to patient care.
- To be responsible for maintaining own accurate and comprehensive patient treatment records and those of staff responsible to the post holder, in line with professional standards of practice and within the parameters laid down in the Trust’s and the Therapy Note Keeping Policy.
- To assess and prioritise new physiotherapy referrals in accordance with the musculoskeletal case weighting policy.
- To ensure infection control policy is adhered to in the department.
For any direct queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bank Partners is an employment agency/employment business (as defined by the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003) and is acting on behalf of its client in relation to this vacancy.